This year we will have one main camp in Finland for competitive goalies. It will be in Espoo at the Leppävaara ice rink (Warrior Areena) July 22-26 Sunday-Thursday. Our main camp has been sold out all 13 times that we have previously organized this event. We will reserve rights to select our students based on their applications (instructions later this page). This way we can match the students and groups the most effective way.
Who should apply for this camp?
While our camp is open for all goalies, we do always tell that we prefer to accept goalies with high work morale and ambitious goals. If your goal is to play NCAA college hockey in the future, then this is THE camp for you, as we have placed more goalies to NCAA hockey than any other European camp
Youngest goalies we accept are 10-12 years of age. We form 6 training groups by their age and skill level for the camp. Usually we have 1 young group and then others are older going up to NCAA college level goalies.
HOW DO WE BUILD OUR CAMP PROGRAM
We put all our efforts on ice training and make sure that each student gets maximum benefits from the 10 ice sessions (2 per day) of the camp
Main weight is on ice sessions and instruction. There will be 2 intensive high-quality ice workouts each day. GoaliePro has been the leader in developing new techniques and training methods for many years. This summer we will continue in the same path and introduce about 30% new drills compared to last summer camp.
For example, we have been one of the forerunners on the active hands concept in the world and now we are taking this concept to the next level in training with our new advanced active hands training methods. Our focus is on maximizing the coverage and at the same time control the puck as well as possible. Part of this training concept we will utilize Swivel Vision’s new training goggles that will block goalies lateral vision in certain drills. All students will receive a pair of Swivel Vision goggles to keep and continue to use them at their own workouts after the camp.
Naturally dryland training will also be part of the daily program, but due to large amount of important on ice training, we will not run our students too hard on the dryland. Our focus is on 2 things on dryland: 1) Proper body maintenance and 2) Teaching modern dryland training methods to our students to take them with them and incorporate into their own weekly training regimen.
As we have done in the past, we will address the specific issues around goalies hip problems and hip injury prevention. This will be done on the ice in technique sessions as well as on dryland training.
COACHES AT THE CAMP
The founder of the GoaliePro, Jukka Ropponen, is responsible for the ENTIRE program and will be on the ice for every session working with goalies and instructing camp coaches. Jukka is one of the most experienced goalie coaches in Finland. He has worked in Finnish Elite League (6 seasons, Jokerit, Espoo Blues and Kiekko-Espoo), Swiss National League NLA (9 seasons, ZSC Lions), USA (Rochester Americans/NAHL, Maksymum Hockey and Hobart College/NCAA), Russia/KHL (UFA, Lokomotiv& St.Petersburg Hockey Academy) as well as in Canada (several goalie schools).
COACHES for this coming summer will be announced 1-2 months before the camp. Availability of the coaches depends on their own team programs and also on participation of the pro goalies on our summer pro program. Our coaches group will be compiled from experienced GoaliePro coaches, our pro customers and a few goalie coaches mentorship program participants. We do usually have 2 coaches for each group on the ice, which means that there will be less than 2 students per coach ratio. This along with our coaches roster is something you will not see anywhere else.
Examples of the coaches from the past summer camps:
- Ale Jääskeläinen GoaliePro, Kunlun Red Star Heilongjiang (China), China U18 National team & Kiekko-Vantaa
- Niklas Bäckström, HIFK (Liiga), Calgary Flames (NHL) & Minnesota Wild (NHL)
- Rasmus Tirronen, TPS (Liiga), Espoo United (Mestis), Charlotte Checkers (AHL), Florida Everblades (ECHL) & Merrimack College (NCAA)
- Kasimir Kaskisuo, Chicago Wolves (AHL), Toronto Marlies (AHL), Orlando Solar Bears (ECHL) & Univ. of Minnesota-Duluth (NCAA)
- Ari Sulander, ZSC Lions (NLA) & Jokerit (Liiga)
- Mikko Rämö, Tölzer Löwen (DEL2), EHC Lustenau (AlpsHL), EC Bad Nauheim (DEL2), KooKoo (Mestis), Pelicans (Liiga)
- Justin Goldman, The Goalie Guild & USA Hockey
- Rasmus Reijola, RoKi (Mestis), Univ. of Alaska-Anchorage (NCAA) & St. Cloud State Univ. (NCAA)
- Atte Tolvanen, Northern Michigan Univ. (NCAA), Minot Minotaurs (NAHL) & Minnesota Magicians (NAHL)
- Jani Nieminen, HKM Zvolen (Slovakia Extraliga), Fischtown Penguins (DEL), SaiPa (Liiga), Blues (Liiga) & Tappara (Liiga)
- Niko Hovinen, KalPa (Liiga), Pelicans (Liiga), Metallurg Novokuznetsk (KHL) & Oklahoma City Barons (AHL)
- Jack Hartigan, Finngoalie, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Ted Monnich, GDI USA
- Ray Jean, Own The Crease & Goalie coach at University of Maine
- Patrik Virtanen, Utica College (NCAA), Lincoln Stars (USHL) & HIFK U20 (Jr. A SM-liiga)
- Clint Elberts, Missouri Mavericks (ECHL)
- Rod Wisco, No Excuses Hockey, Ontario, Canada
Camp cost is 765€ and has to be paid within a week from the acceptance notification from GoaliePro. This way the student has ensured their spot at the camp. GoaliePro does not take cancellations or do refunds. In case the student can’t make it to the camp, GoaliePro will assign a new student from the waiting list, if there are suitable candidates available. Students can also get a replacement participant himself.
Included in the camp price:
- Two ice sessions per day
- Warm-up and cooldown sessions before and after each ice session
- Daily dryland training with focus on teaching modern training methods
- Workout clothing package consisting practice jersey, shorts, t-shirt, hat
- Sports specific high protein lunches designed specifically for our athletes
- Full BioSteel service throughout the day with sugar free, lactose free, glucose free, all natural High Performance Sports Drink. BioSteel all natural nutritional bars after dryland and BioSteel advanced recovery formula drink at the end of each day
- Personal BioSteel shaker and sports drink bottle
- BioSteel gym bag
- Swivel Vision training goggles
All students must have their own insurance to cover any costs of medical treatment, injuries etc.
Out of town participants are responsible for their own accommodation arrangements.
IS YOUR TARGET U.S. COLLEGES?
If that is your next target, you are applying for the right program. Every year we have coaches on program from NCAA schools or coaches with close ties to NCAA schools. We explain the process and the path to college hockey during the week to our students. After the camp, you will understand what it takes from you as an athlete and also what the academic requirements are. Once you achieve a scholarship at Div-1 NCAA program, that can be valued up to 40.000 USD per season for 4 years.
Past and current GoaliePro students/Customers that have gone through college route (or are on it now):
- Kasimir Kaskisuo, University of Minnesota-Duluth
- Rasmus Tirronen, Merrimack College
- Rasmus Reijola, St. Cloud State University & University of Alaska-Anchorage
- Atte Tolvanen, Northern Michigan University
- Patrik Virtanen, Utica College
- Jan Ropponen, Rochester Institute of Technology
- Vilma Vaattovaara, University of New Hampshire
- Matti Kaltiainen, Boston College
Send your application to valmennus(at)goaliepro.com and tell us what your goals are and why we should select you as one of our 2018 camp participants.
Remember to also include the following information:
- Year of birth
- Current team and jersey #
- Shoe size
- League where you play
- Phone, e-mail and address
- If you are under 18, guardians contact information
- Possible recommendation letters from coaches etc
Looking forward to seeing you in Espoo this summer!