Is dryland training for goalies????

This is the area for our foreign visitors who want to discuss matters around coaching goalies and goaltending technique related issues with Goaliepro's experts and our Finnish forum members.

Moderators: Jukka Ropponen, Jan, Cubanpuckstopper

Is dryland training for goalies????

Postby Jukka Ropponen » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:58 am

http://www.goaliepro.com/english/2012/n ... %E2%80%A6/

Check out this article from Maria Mountain. It is refreshing to see this type of opinions coming also from North America.

Jukka
Jukka

Blocker first - Questions later!
Jukka Ropponen
Goaliepro

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:52 pm

Her Youtube Channel is here http://www.youtube.com/user/revolutioncondition/videos

I find her work to be quite functional for goalies. This is one of my favorites. http://youtu.be/jb5ECbctyxc

I just completed the USA Hockey U16/18 certification module, and saw very little dryland training. The off-ice routines were free weights, and plank variations. USA Hockey believes that core strength is developed the same way for skaters as goalies.

While Maria is a great example of a supporter of dryland routines, at least in the U.S. our players/coaches tolerate dryland training, while Europe embraces dryland training.
The best goalies in the business enjoy every minute on the ice. - S. St Laurent
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Postby Jukka Ropponen » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:28 pm

Just wait until our June camp starts. If you are coming this year you will see a lot of new dryland methods we have developed.

Jukka
Jukka

Blocker first - Questions later!
Jukka Ropponen
Goaliepro

Postby Taz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Cubanpuckstopper wrote:I just completed the USA Hockey U16/18 certification module, and saw very little dryland training. The off-ice routines were free weights, and plank variations. USA Hockey believes that core strength is developed the same way for skaters as goalies.

That's quite strange that same routines would work best for both skater and goalies. Of course, even lousy training is better than no training at all.

I think that proper off-ice routine, specified to goalies, is key to great goaltending. And there is a difference between good and great goalie!

I usually work with our goalies on off-ice during May-July. This is good period to give goalies different kind of load and make individual training (physical and mental) program. We continue this during on-ice season with pre-ice and, when scheduled, on day-off training.

There are great videoclips on this site, may I say, good starters :) Of course, Youtube is full of drills, just pick and choose.
Off-ice routines are (my opinion) very important part of goalie training, at least by giving alternation to training.
Taz
Aloitteleva maalivahti

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:20 pm

Taz wrote:That's quite strange that same routines would work best for both skater and goalies. Of course, even lousy training is better than no training at all.

Here is an article discussing you comment, right from our National Team

http://www.usahockey.com/usahgoalies/de ... edNews=yes

It is not how I see things, and not how I see things done in Finland.
The best goalies in the business enjoy every minute on the ice. - S. St Laurent
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Postby Taz » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:12 am

Hi!

There is a good point also, goalies need to train also cardio-trainings and this is something that goalies can certainly do with teammates. Also if goalies work few months only with specified schedule, goalies are isolated from other team and that is not the best way to improve teamspirit.

I think that it's not a big deal to find solution to this. It is the same situation what we meet everyday on ice. Here is a good place for goalie-coach and team-coach to make co-operation. I've kept dryland trainings occasionally to whole team and they have been a bit like goalie-drills. But they are good variation to players.

Like I said, I think even bad training is usually better than no training at all. Still I think that goalies deserve even some specified routines and training.

Please comment freely, this is good discussion.
Taz
Aloitteleva maalivahti

Return to Coaching goalies & tech talk