When a Shot is a Pass

This is the area for our foreign visitors who want to discuss matters around coaching goalies and goaltending technique related issues with Goaliepro's experts and our Finnish forum members.

Moderators: Jukka Ropponen, Jan, Cubanpuckstopper

When a Shot is a Pass

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:39 pm

At 2:24 into the video linked below, the goal against the Umass goalie is the result of a slap-pass that was tipped while going wide of the goalie (there are three replays of the goal).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWB_8NTp ... r_embedded

Cues for this are:
- The blade angle of the shooter's stick doesn't appear right at the point of release.

-As a goalie I have opponents with greater depth than I have

What other cues can be developed to become less of a victim of this disguised pass?
The best goalies in the business enjoy every minute on the ice. - S. St Laurent
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Postby pmgaff » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:05 pm

A thought from the beer leagues: How 'bout known "shooter" tendencies?

If one plays against the same guys often enough, I feel like it's possible to make some intelligent guesses as to the likelihood that what appears to be a shot may actually be a pass. Related, if a goalie is squaring up to a guy who is known for a big shot, he might reasonably expect a higher likelihood that it WILL be a shot.

This knowledge might allow one to adjust his depth a bit.

I recognize that the frequency of repeated contact with individual players needed to develop this "book" might be affected by the level at which the goalie is playing and length of his career (of "career," in quotes, for guys like me. :lol: )
pmgaff
Aloitteleva maalivahti

Return to Coaching goalies & tech talk