I starting coaching again this week...my observations

This is the area for our foreign visitors who want to discuss matters around coaching goalies and goaltending technique related issues with Goaliepro's experts and our Finnish forum members.

Moderators: Jukka Ropponen, Jan, Cubanpuckstopper

I starting coaching again this week...my observations

Postby RichMan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:47 pm

Monday night was kids night, nothing too special. Just your regular random skill levels. I was assisting the head coach. I was told to only bring my forward gloves/helmet/stick.

Second hour was with adults. Obviously, these weren't veteran beer leaguers, although one did surprise me with his foundation after only 3 years in goal. One thing that bugged me is that the head coach, a young 21 or 23year old, albeit good at explaining and demonstrating and equipped with some sharp skating skills...he put alot of emphasis on the b-fly. Learning it and praticing it is a good thing, but these aren't kids. For the most part they are newbies, or a straight up old scholler like i was 3-5 years ago. If it would of been for myself only, i would of broken it down more and encourage a half b-fly for starts, a more Brodeur style. Is it worth it for me to comment on this to him...seeing that i have the background to understand how the adults feel?

Tuesday was the Sens Goalie Academy, 3 different age groups with agian many different skill levels. This day i chose to bring in my goalie gloves and stick. I'm a visual person, that is how i learned to play, and so many kids are the same, i can't justify showing glove positionning if i look more like a forward than a goalie. After all, they'll have to deal with their D men acting as goalie coaches for the rest of their amateur careers, so... :roll: :wink: :lol:

Next week i will show up with my gear and half dress. It will help much better with the visual instruction, make me look more credible, and also save my knees from further bruising :( .

Hope to discuss more later. Keep an eye out for my next questions.
RichMan
Rookie

Return to Coaching goalies & tech talk