Does anyone still Shimmy?

This is the area for our foreign visitors who want to discuss matters around coaching goalies and goaltending technique related issues with Goaliepro's experts and our Finnish forum members.

Moderators: Jukka Ropponen, Jan, Cubanpuckstopper

Does anyone still Shimmy?

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:06 pm

So far this season, with the goalies in the region, and aged from 14-18, I hardly see anyone shimmy. By shimmy I mean a knee walk to gain a lateral position.

At Mitch Korn clinic in the Metro Washington, D.C. USA area, for close in action, say just about at the range of a pokecheck while on your knees I heard Mitch say " I don't want the goalie to open holes by raising his leg to push, since in close movements should be small I prefer taht he shimmy".

That was five years ago, but I see less and less of it.

Perhaps the influence of professional goalies has worked down to the youth level.

Or maybe the material on pads promotes sliding and results in reduced grip for shimmying.

What are my Finnish counterparts seeing when it comes to a shimmy?
The best goalies in the business enjoy every minute on the ice. - S. St Laurent
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:20 pm

As a follow up to the original post, here is some video of Brian elliot of the Ottawa Senators using one leg up to move and shimying (knne-walk) to move laterally. Nothing real technical about the vidoe but it does offer the opportunity to compare and contrast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oElGb15eQX4
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Postby Jukka Ropponen » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:38 pm

Most of the time the game requires rapid explosive moves executed with just 1 kick/push. If the goalie has time to shimmy he can also get up and move normally in most cases.

I think the development is a combination of game getting faster, techniques getting better and pads sliding more/staying better in position on bfly slide.

Jukka
Jukka Ropponen
Goaliepro

Postby beaver » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:56 am

IMO, For the bigger goalies is it more useful. I asked from my goalies (age of 15) and they said that they use shimmying very rarely althought it can be useful in the near game.
Roppaa eteen...
beaver
Lord of goaltending

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:16 pm

beaver wrote:IMO, For the bigger goalies is it more useful.

Beaver thanks for your reply, is that based on a bigger goalie just being able to cover more lateral space for each shimmy?

Is there also potential for a bigger goalie to create a larger opening when raising a leg to drive from?
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Return to Coaching goalies & tech talk