An interview with Semyon Varlamov from Jaspers Rink

This is the area for our foreign visitors who want to discuss matters around coaching goalies and goaltending technique related issues with Goaliepro's experts and our Finnish forum members.

Moderators: Jukka Ropponen, Jan, Cubanpuckstopper

An interview with Semyon Varlamov from Jaspers Rink

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:00 pm

I believe this article has been translated, it is available at the link below from the blog Jasper's Rink

http://www.japersrink.com/2009/9/17/103 ... ed-the-nhl
The best goalies in the business enjoy every minute on the ice. - S. St Laurent
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Postby Jukka Ropponen » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:24 am

Notice his comments about the communications with Irbe as his new goalie coach. It is so vital and this kid does not speak too good English. I worked with him at Lokomotivs camp couple of years ago and that was the hardest part, how to get him to understand what I wanted to communicate.

With Irbe on board we should expect to see him play even better than last season. It's good to see that his club understands the importance of their prospect goalie and cater to his needs.

Jukka
Jukka Ropponen
Goaliepro

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:25 pm

A recent interview with Arturs Irbe that presents his views on style, the Olympics, and Varlamov's Finnish influence.

http://www.japersrink.com/2009/12/8/119 ... -to-take-a

A Russian language version of the same interview.

http://hockey.sport-express.ru/reviews/2850/
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Postby Jukka Ropponen » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:08 pm

Irbe seems to have his facts quite correct for on ice part, but should also mention the huge amount of work and methods also done off ice in the Finnish system:

The main features of the Finnish school are brilliantly delivered technique, skating, and movements. Finnish goaltenders are very economical and refined in their movements; they don't have any unnecessary hand movements, they always set up at the correct angle from the very first movement, without any extra steps, and they are always in the correct position."

Jukka
Jukka Ropponen
Goaliepro

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:49 pm

Jukka,

I have an account at Jaspers Rink.

I sent the following response that included your response here.

Tuvanhillbilly,
I’ve posted a link to your blog at a friend’s Finnish site. His response was :

Irbe seems to have his facts quite correct for on ice part, but should also mention the huge amount of work and methods also done off ice in the Finnish system:
-Jukka Ropponen

Perhaps you can mention that the next time you are knocking down a Molson with Arturs. :}

Tuvan, who runs the blog responded today.
Oh, would that I had ever hoisted a few with Arturs.:) I have to clarify that Slava Malamud was the lucky one, you might say I’m just the messenger on this. I will pass this on to Slava, however, and let him forward it to Irbe. Thanks much CPS for getting that in front of Jukka and getting his response! The readers here at the rink never cease to amaze me!

I hope you don't mind a little publicity :lol:
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Postby Jukka Ropponen » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:07 am

Not at all, the more qualified and knowledgeable people we connect to our discussions the better and more useful they get.

Jukka
Jukka Ropponen
Goaliepro

Return to Coaching goalies & tech talk