Mylar or Glassless Mirrors as Training Tools

This is the area for our foreign visitors who want to discuss matters around coaching goalies and goaltending technique related issues with Goaliepro's experts and our Finnish forum members.

Moderators: Jukka Ropponen, Jan, Cubanpuckstopper

Mylar or Glassless Mirrors as Training Tools

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:29 pm

I find a benefit to working with screenboards.

An improved version is the mirrored screenboard

While this works in a goalie camp/clinic enviroment, I have not seen widespread use in youth hockey programs.

Various reasons come to mind:

The wieght of an acrylic mirror.
The cost, about $320, for an acrylic mirror.
The time to setup, head coaches being what they are generally look annoyed when there is any setup time for goaltending apparatus.

and a regular mirror is too unsafe to consider.

With that said, this season I am working on a mylar mirror

(ballerina not included)

The mylar mirror pictured above costs more than an acrylic mirror.

So as an alternative I have laminated mylar to various foam insulation panels.

I am going to use it this weekend, and while the image is not perfectly clear, it is not distorted. And cost about $ 15 (U.S.) to produce, and the 4 ft x 8 ft one that I hope to incorporate into a screenboard was about $27.

I've also found a local supplier http://www.delmarvaglasslessmirrors.com/panels.htm

They have a 2 ft. x 2 ft. ceiling panel that may be useful as a highly portable mirror for providing feedback.

Has anyone else attempted to create and or use lightweight portable mirrors as coaching tools?
The best goalies in the business enjoy every minute on the ice. - S. St Laurent
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Postby Jukka Ropponen » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:08 am

Most cases the problem here is the lack of facilities, storage etc as gear like this takes up a lot of space which is usually not available at normal rinks.

All tools like these are useful to a degree. Mostly it depends on the coach how well they can use the training aids.

Jukka
Jukka Ropponen
Goaliepro

Return to Coaching goalies & tech talk