New program to bring Finnish goalies to North American schoo

This is the area for our foreign visitors who want to discuss matters around coaching goalies and goaltending technique related issues with Goaliepro's experts and our Finnish forum members.

Moderators: Jukka Ropponen, Jan, Cubanpuckstopper

New program to bring Finnish goalies to North American schoo

Postby Jukka Ropponen » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:34 am

http://goalieblog-jukka.blogspot.com/20 ... rican.html

More details will follow as we get the program ready and start contactign schools etc...

Jukka
Jukka Ropponen
Goaliepro

Postby pmgaff » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:08 pm

Jukka, will these goalies all be Division I NCAA candidates or will they consider D-III? I am acquainted with a couple of local D-III coaches and am wondering if those contacts would be useful to you in getting this thing going.

I imagine that you have all the contacts you need at the bigger schools but was thinking that there may still be some goalies interested in an American college experience who might not have that level of talent. I know that a local junior college coach once had an inquiry from a kid (not a goalie) from Norway.
pmgaff
Aloitteleva maalivahti

Postby Jukka Ropponen » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:25 am

pmgaff wrote:Jukka, will these goalies all be Division I NCAA candidates or will they consider D-III? I am acquainted with a couple of local D-III coaches and am wondering if those contacts would be useful to you in getting this thing going.

I imagine that you have all the contacts you need at the bigger schools but was thinking that there may still be some goalies interested in an American college experience who might not have that level of talent. I know that a local junior college coach once had an inquiry from a kid (not a goalie) from Norway.

I am absolutely interested in D-III as well. There are some great schools and hockey is also good. This is the whole purpose of the program, build a lrge network and connect the candidates with interested schools.

I am also going to look for some kids to play at junior leagues like USHL, NAHL and EJHL so that they can get exposure to schools.

Jukka
Jukka Ropponen
Goaliepro

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Wed May 05, 2010 2:56 pm

I am posting this link as a companion artilcle to the article in the original post.

http://www.fromtherink.com/2010/5/4/144 ... ey-inc-the

Varisty programs (Div I and Div III) have not grown in the past 10 or so years, some varsity programs have disappeared, D-1's Iona and Wayne State, and Lebanon Valley at the D-3 level.

But there appears to be new energy to create more varsity programs.
The best goalies in the business enjoy every minute on the ice. - S. St Laurent
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Postby Jukka Ropponen » Fri May 14, 2010 11:31 am

Greg,

Can you check with some of the schools and junior organizations in your area if they have interest on Finnish goalies. Also aska bit info on what it wouldtake for Finnish players to come over etc as this is something that our students are sure interested to hear when you come over next month.

Jukka
Jukka Ropponen
Goaliepro

Return to Coaching goalies & tech talk