Blade positioning and Downward Movement

This is the area for our foreign visitors who want to discuss matters around coaching goalies and goaltending technique related issues with Goaliepro's experts and our Finnish forum members.

Moderators: Jukka Ropponen, Jan, Cubanpuckstopper

Blade positioning and Downward Movement

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:16 pm

Later this week I will have the opportunity to be instructed by Yona Fioravanti in Rochester, NY.
A year ago , at the same clinic, we discussed the topic linked below, it is from the Vaughn Resources.
http://www.vaughnhockey.com/goaltending ... veness.pdf

Our discussion focused on the blade contact with the ice, (pages four and five in the article linked above).

(photos reproduced from Vaughn Resources site)

Billy Sauer, former U of Michigan goalie, joined in and stated he uses full blade, BUT that “a controlled center of balance was the most important component of down movement.” We left it at that, which I beleive to be very sound advice.

I'd like to revisit this topic again since a year has passed.
Where does everyone stand on the topic?
Do we believe that different blade positioning works better for goalies of different sizes, shapes, and upper/lower body weight ratios?
Is there a European approach to movement that might not have been considered?
The best goalies in the business enjoy every minute on the ice. - S. St Laurent
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Postby juha » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:54 am

This is one extremely interesting topic and I would like to see even more this kind of topics covering the little details that make huge difference in the end. (It's all about the details)

I discussed the blade positioning with Yona and Jukka this summer at the camp and did some tests on the ice with different pushing techniques and found that the toe of the blade overall gives best results in strength and direction of the push when you need to move more than few inches.

Needs to be said though that while I'm rooting for the toe push I do push with my heel in most situations where I need to push just a little bit. I've found that at least for me it takes less time to get the heel in contact with ice. I've tried to change this habit but haven't been too successful yet. :-)

The more I think which would be the best way to push the less sure I am if there is just one correct way to push. The whole blade push sounds good too in some situations. But I guess there is the same problem than with heel push, You cant use your calf muscle strength like you would in toe push.

I think we really need more opinions and angles to this topic before we could say if there is just one cocrect way to push and if it is the toe.

cheers,
-juha-
juha
Site Admin

Return to Coaching goalies & tech talk