Checklist for evaluation of goaltending skills

This is the area for our foreign visitors who want to discuss matters around coaching goalies and goaltending technique related issues with Goaliepro's experts and our Finnish forum members.

Moderators: Jukka Ropponen, Jan, Cubanpuckstopper

Checklist for evaluation of goaltending skills

Postby Jani » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:09 pm

Evaluation is the systematic collection and analysis of data needed to make decisions. In successful coaching, players' performance and skills should be put into test and evaluated to learn about progress.

Therefore, I just thought to share information about the Goalie Checklist that the NHL Central Scouting Bureau has developed to be used by Central Scouting's full time staff to assess a draft eligible player's skill set throughout the year.

Recently, the young talent Mikko Koskinen was ranked high on the list of goalies on the basis of this very Checklist.

http://centralscouting.nhl.com/link3/cs/content.nsf/0/1827554AB0C07DD0852575D00063E1F3/$FILE/NHL%20Central%20Scouting%20-%20Goalie%20Checklist.pdf

Apart from coach-oriented approach, this checklist certainly works also as a self-evaluation sheet.
Out of the ordinary... out of this world.
Jani
Resident goalie geek

Postby TartanBill » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:13 pm

Jani,

Thanks very much. I am a big believer in checklists and have a similar checklist I've used.

A couple comments. It's missing anything on coachability and practice habits. I'm surprised it's not being considered when evaluating teenagers. Perhaps they assume good work habits, but I'd expect some variation.

At the lower levels I work with, I look at more specific things. Perhaps it would make sense to use a more detailed checklist as a diagnostic where the score is not very high.
TartanBill
Aloitteleva maalivahti

Postby Jani » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:45 pm

As stated, this checklist is for NHL coaching thus rigorous practise habits are likely to be assumed for each and every goalie under evaluation. I guess, however, it could be revised further for more complete and detailed when coaching juniors and developing goalies to serve more diagnostic purpose.
Out of the ordinary... out of this world.
Jani
Resident goalie geek

Postby Pavel » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:42 am

Jani,
Thanks for posting this evaluation form. I also am a big believer in evaluation forms. They are very good for feedback and progress tracking.
One of the goalies I work with took part in International Hockey Schools - Advanced Goalie Camp last summer. When he returned he gave me a copy of the evaluation form he received there. It evaluates skating skills, ability to make particular saves, stick usage + stick handling, work ethics + coachability and at the and there is a space for coache's short comments. If you would like to see it, I'm happy to share but I don't know how to post (attach) a file to my comment.
I also use other kinds of evaluation forms on regular basis. Mainly rebound scoring during practices and games, save percentages during practices and goals scored against sheet (keeps detailed information on every goal that was scored against a goalie during games, after a while you will have a nice statistics showing where the weeknesses are and what to work on).
[/img]
Pavel
Rookie

Return to Coaching goalies & tech talk