Interview at The Hockey Writers

This is the area for our foreign visitors who want to discuss matters around coaching goalies and goaltending technique related issues with Goaliepro's experts and our Finnish forum members.

Moderators: Jukka Ropponen, Jan, Cubanpuckstopper

Interview at The Hockey Writers

Postby Jukka Ropponen » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:39 pm

http://thehockeywriters.com/qa-with-goa ... -ropponen/

Do you agree on the comments and answers? Remember that oen is alwasy biased towards the goalies he has worked with and trusts therefore the most. :D

Jukka
Jukka Ropponen
Goaliepro

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:40 pm

Good interview

I like your comments on Ray Emery, especially how much more potential he has. With my proximity to Phialdelphia, there has been a lot of press, and some have said similar. One comment that struck me is that Ray himself doesn't realize his own potential.

On the mental side, there might be a little more pressure on Emery now.

The Flyers have released Reggie Lemelin. Reggie was accessible to many of the local coahces, so being selfish, from that point I hate to see him depart.

http://csnphilly.com/pages/landing_09?F ... feedID=704

And all indicators point towards Jeff Reese being the replacement. The appearance is that Lemelin was released to find a coach that suits Emery better. True or false that is the perception of many, hence the reference to a little more pressure.

Tony Esposito was one of my favorites as a youth. I consider him to be one of the pioneers of the butterfly save, in an era when after dropping, you always got to your feet before moving laterally.
Last edited by Cubanpuckstopper on Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best goalies in the business enjoy every minute on the ice. - S. St Laurent
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Postby Jukka Ropponen » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:46 pm

Glad you liked the interview.

Interesting to see if Emery's signing will change the plans of goalie coach appointment as earlier Flyers were planning to have Neil Little to take over after Lemelin.

Jukka
Jukka Ropponen
Goaliepro

Postby TartanBill » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:04 am

My take is that they signed Emery because he fit their cap budget. I'm not at all sure they can re-sign him if he has a strong season unless they move some other caps space first. Considering the blueline situation, that will be difficult.

My personal bias in stick handling was Barrasso, whom I saw often in the 90s. Smokey McLeoud is a name from the more distant pass that comes to mind.

Yes, Espo was great, and as you well remember, you had to get up because you could not slide on rough (or even fresh) ice with wet leather pads. I would also mention Belfour in the read the game category.

A modern paragon of consistency would be Brodeur.
TartanBill
Aloitteleva maalivahti

Postby Jukka Ropponen » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:32 am

TartanBill wrote:My take is that they signed Emery because he fit their cap budget. I'm not at all sure they can re-sign him if he has a strong season unless they move some other caps space first. Considering the blueline situation, that will be difficult.

My personal bias in stick handling was Barrasso, whom I saw often in the 90s. Smokey McLeoud is a name from the more distant pass that comes to mind.

Yes, Espo was great, and as you well remember, you had to get up because you could not slide on rough (or even fresh) ice with wet leather pads. I would also mention Belfour in the read the game category.

A modern paragon of consistency would be Brodeur.

Always happy to have more than qualified comments from real rocket scientist. (I am sure this comment is not fully understood by other board memebers that were not part of our Rochester camps :D )

Glad to have you over here Bill.

Jukka
Jukka Ropponen
Goaliepro

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:22 am

Jukka Ropponen wrote:Glad you liked the interview.

Interesting to see if Emery's signing will change the plans of goalie coach appointment as earlier Flyers were planning to have Neil Little to take over after Lemelin.

Jukka

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?service ... eid=442641

The latest on Flyers Goaltending and Neil Little
The best goalies in the business enjoy every minute on the ice. - S. St Laurent
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Return to Coaching goalies & tech talk