Bodyweight Exercises

This is the area for our foreign visitors who want to discuss matters around coaching goalies and goaltending technique related issues with Goaliepro's experts and our Finnish forum members.

Moderators: Jukka Ropponen, Jan, Cubanpuckstopper

Bodyweight Exercises

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Thu May 28, 2009 3:16 pm

I got the following in a newsletter,
The following anywhere, anytime drills will help.
1) HANDSTAND. To align your shoulders close to the kettlebell lockout position behind the neck push with your hands towards the wall to push your body away from it. Look at the horizon or the crack between the floor and the wall rather than down between your hands. Keep your abs and glutes tight, your elbows locked, squeeze your thighs together, and let the shoulders sink into the sockets. Hold for time and don't forget to breathe.
2) JUMP SQUAT. Clasp your hands behind your head. Drop to parallel while keeping your heels down and your back flat and jump straight up. Land on your toes, quickly roll back on your heels while keeping your back flat, drop into a parallel squat, and instantly spring back up. It is a popular drill among Russian GS athletes and Kyokushin karate black belts must be able to knock off 100 reps. Ease into this one.
3) JUMP GOOD MORNING. This one is a travel favorite of Suren Bogdasarov, the coach of weightlifting legend Yuri Vlasov. Rapidly hinge at the hip until your straight back is parallel to the deck and jump. Bend your knees just a little and keep your hands clasped behind your neck.
4) WRING OUT A WET TOWEL. The idea is to strengthen your grip and forearms.
5) DIVE BOMBER PUSHUP. This drill looks like a cat climbing under a fence. Keep your elbows in at all times to protect your shoulders.

these make sense to me, especially for anyone who travels on business, with the EXCEPTION of # 3.
Is the purpose to jump while “extended”, as opposed to jumping when “loaded”?

Most of the above exercises have been extracted from this publication. http://www.dragondoor.com/dv015.html?c= ... override=1
Numerous other articles are available at the dragon door site. I am not affiliated with them in any way.
The best goalies in the business enjoy every minute on the ice. - S. St Laurent
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Postby TartanBill » Sun May 31, 2009 9:56 pm

Speaking of travel, I'm going to Prague next week (with luck I'll be able to catch some of the Cup Finals while there, at what, 2:00 AM). I expect several trips to South Africa in the next two quarters.

Some of those look a lot similar to some of the P90X. I'll have to get some unloaded work while traveling. I need maintenance while on the road, but how to do pull ups and with my wrist problems, push-ups are hard without the bars. I don't want to come back from these trips regressing.
TartanBill
Aloitteleva maalivahti

Return to Coaching goalies & tech talk