Breakaway/Shootout concepts to discuss

This is the area for our foreign visitors who want to discuss matters around coaching goalies and goaltending technique related issues with Goaliepro's experts and our Finnish forum members.

Moderators: Jukka Ropponen, Jan, Cubanpuckstopper

Breakaway/Shootout concepts to discuss

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:59 pm

This thread will bridge two concepts, both concerning breakaways/shootouts.

Darren Pang was discussing Ilya Bryzgalov, during a Phoenix Coyotes game.

Background information on Pang in this link
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/Leg ... ayer=18651

The conversation focused on the concept that European goalies tend to poke check on the breakaway often. And quoting Pang,”in North America we were taught not to poke check in that situation”. As a supporting document, this link describes a typical approach to the breakaway in North America http://www.mitchkorn.com/breakaway.html

In a conversation with a former coach for Toronto coach, he discussed a “Euro-Style” approach to the breakaway. “Euro-Style” is his description not mine, I call it a one-pad stack, since it has similar rebound/recovery issues to the two-pad stack.

This is where the goalie closes off the net with a wishbone type of configuration

Image photo from S. Mckichan's photo account

Image (this image also shows a pokecheck).

Questions we can discuss:

I’m sure there are exceptions to what are general statements, but how valid are they?

The risk versus reward of a breakaway poke check?

Is that “Euro-Style” approach to the breakaway a result of the desire to poke check, and/or the tilt forward of the center of gravity that can occur during a poke check?

What are benefits to either the Euro-Style?
The best goalies in the business enjoy every minute on the ice. - S. St Laurent
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Professional Goalies Discuss shootout technique

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:07 pm

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=415959

It is interesting to see that some focus on just the "interior" (the puck only) and others focus on the "exterior (incldung the shooter's moves, eye positioning, etc).
The best goalies in the business enjoy every minute on the ice. - S. St Laurent
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Poke's on breakaways

Postby Jukka Ropponen » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:51 am

I do teach my goalies to poke on breakaways just like in any situation following same principles:

A) Poke must always be a surprise fast move that forward will not see coming. i.e. don't "send a letter"

B) Learn to read the play, if you see forward focusing on the puck or something else than you, use that moment to your advantage and surprise him.

C) Use your stick a lot at practices, then you will learn when you can use it at the games. Make your mistakes at practices, learn from them and do be afraid of making them at practices.

D) When forward loses a bit of the puck control, it is your opportunity to poke if the play is close enough to you.

E) Do not poke all the time. If you develop a pattern, opponents will use it against you. Poke has to be a surprise.

F) If you poke successfully say 1 or 2 times out of 10 breakaways you automatically start gaining advantage as now forwards have to take that move into account when playing against you.

Jukka
Jukka Ropponen
Goaliepro

Return to Coaching goalies & tech talk