Youth Hockey Development Models

This is the area for our foreign visitors who want to discuss matters around coaching goalies and goaltending technique related issues with Goaliepro's experts and our Finnish forum members.

Moderators: Jukka Ropponen, Jan, Cubanpuckstopper

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:24 pm

I received this as the USA Hockey Coaches' newsletter. I could find it in html format at this link http://www.minnesotahockeyjournal.com/1 ... coach.html

It is not entirely goaltending (actually there is very little goaltending content :( ) I am curious how compares to publications from the Finnish Ice Hockey Association(s).
The best goalies in the business enjoy every minute on the ice. - S. St Laurent
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:17 pm

Yet another post that discusses the development of hockey players in the United States.

There have been a few of these since the WJC a few weeks ago.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/ ... -monaghan/

Within the article linked above is a Canadian article that discusses style of play, and development ideas that differ or are similar between the two countries.

There are a number of references to the NCAA hockey programs, which potentially tie back to this thread by Jukka
http://www.goaliepro.com/foorumi/viewtopic.php?t=4158
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Postby pmgaff » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:51 pm

Cubanpuckstopper wrote:Yet another post that discusses the development of hockey players in the United States.

There have been a few of these since the WJC a few weeks ago.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/ ... -monaghan/

Within the article linked above is a Canadian article that discusses style of play, and development ideas that differ or are similar between the two countries.

Nice read, although maybe a little more enthusiastic about the quality of USA Hockey coaching all the way down to the grassroots than my observations tell me is appropriate. It still feels a little to me like you've been right, Cuban, in your assessment that all the efforts to develop coaching are misplaced, in that not enough time is spent with guys coaching the littlest kids (i.e. the ones where development needs the most nurturing).

And as for goalie coaches, it's still hit & miss. I know Joe Exter has become increasingly well known and that there is more effort being made at the national level to increase the coaches' sensitivities toward goalies but it's still not wide-spread enough. And, judging by the demand of other coaches in my Association for my little bit of knowledge, the problem ISN'T that coaches are generally uninterested in the topic.

For two years, I would email the guy in our Section who was responsible for putting the coaching clinics together, offering my services (such as they are) to present a segment on goalies at a Level 3 clinic in my area. I even offered to travel within the section to do it at other sites. I finally was asked to do it at one clinic and given a 40 min window. The student coaches were very engaged and asked so many questions that I went over an hour. The next year? I again offered my services and didn't even get a response, and as far as I know, nobody else did it, either. I didn;t even try during this past training season. If I wasn't a very good presenter, fine, get somebody in there.

As you can tell, I'm a little bitter about USAHockey's ability to add value to American youth hockey at the grassroots level or in Tier II or III associations.
pmgaff
Aloitteleva maalivahti

Postby Jukka Ropponen » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:25 am

In my experience (working 5 years as goalie coach with with AA and AAA youth hockey organizations) the level of coaching in U.S. is still very low at least compared to Finland and the coaches educational system can only do so much when majority of the coaches that start the program lack the needed background and "culture". Of course this will get better oveer time.

Jukka
Jukka Ropponen
Goaliepro

Postby pmgaff » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:28 pm

Jukka Ropponen wrote:... the coaches educational system can only do so much when majority of the coaches that start the program lack the needed background and "culture".

Interesting...

So why do more Finnish youth coaches have this than Americans? Is it true of all NORTH Americans, do you think, or just "regular" Americans? :) Is it just because more Finnish Beginners have played the game prior to taking on a coaching role? How does one go about changing this or is it, as you suggested, just a function of time?
pmgaff
Aloitteleva maalivahti

Postby Jukka Ropponen » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:48 am

pmgaff wrote:
Jukka Ropponen wrote:... the coaches educational system can only do so much when majority of the coaches that start the program lack the needed background and "culture".

Interesting...

So why do more Finnish youth coaches have this than Americans? Is it true of all NORTH Americans, do you think, or just "regular" Americans? :) Is it just because more Finnish Beginners have played the game prior to taking on a coaching role? How does one go about changing this or is it, as you suggested, just a function of time?

It's really a matter of building the culture and getting ex players and people with hockey background effectively recruited and educated on coaching for youth hockey programs.

In U.S. the problem is the lack of people with the background and a lot what I have seen in Canada is around the issue that hockey is really the hobby for the parents and they want to run the programs instead of getting people with righ background recruited and to coach.

just my 2cents

Jukka
Jukka Ropponen
Goaliepro

Postby pmgaff » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:31 pm

Thanks. I take the point -- there are a lot of well-meaning dads "drafted" to coach because there is nobody else. There is a story around here of a father of a local ex-NHLer who coached FROM THE BENCH because he couldn't skate. Unacceptable.

On the other hand, there is currently an ex-Div III player (a decent one, too) coaching Peewees here and while I certainly can't criticize his knowledge of the game, he has been fairly widely criticized for being unable to establish any rappport with his young players.

So the question becomes, do we work to find real "hockey people" who can teach the game or do we devote resources to teaching hockey and/or coaching skills to parents (or any adult volunteer) who has a good way with the kids (AND PARENTS :lol: )?
pmgaff
Aloitteleva maalivahti

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:40 pm

Gaffer, Your story sounds all too familiar.

Here is a thread from a youth hockey forum (to be taken with a grain of salt), which I beielive to be typical of many organizations/situations

http://youthhockeyforum.com/eve/forums/ ... 7910722931

In contrast, most organizations in the U.S. would be happy with, acceptable to, and benefit from this as a guideline

http://www.ehow.com/how_2195992_coach-b ... alies.html

(Step Four looks like it was written by Yona) :wink:
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Postby pmgaff » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:33 pm

Cubanpuckstopper wrote:http://www.ehow.com/how_2195992_coach-beginning-youth-hockey-goalies.html

(Step Four looks like it was written by Yona) :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
pmgaff
Aloitteleva maalivahti

Postby Jukka Ropponen » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:55 pm

Yona aka Phantom29 wrote:Encourage them to get as much skating practice as possible. Skating at team practices will not be enough and even if they are a decent skater, the position of goalie requires additional skating skills. They will have to be able to cut and change direction quickly, be better balanced so if they drop to the ice they can get up quickly. Skating backwards strongly will also be a big plus in their development.

I agree, his words :D

Jukka
Jukka Ropponen
Goaliepro

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:41 pm

I recently became President of our youth hockey organization http://www.skateatthefair.com/centre/Organization.htm

I would just as soon be the ACE, but this gives me the opportunity to shape our programs.

As such the USAH Mid-Atlantic district material flows my way. Below is the proposal for implementing the new development model.

Atlantic District Mite ADM Proposal
(Rev. 3/1/10)

2010-2011 Season

This will serve as a transitional season where the player’s currently playing full ice will be afforded the opportunity to continue to do so if they choose by moving to squirts or may elect to play in the modified ADM/AAHA Major division.

6 & Under Cross Ice Division (Atoms)

• ’04 & younger as well as any ’02 or ’03 who wish to participate
• Cross Ice practice and games
• In House competition schedule. Neighboring facilities can set their own schedule
• Mini nets with rotating goalies
• Blue pucks
• Season Length: 20 weeks as determined by facility
• Coaches serve as officials
• April 20 registration with ability to register additional players based on season length

8 & Under Major Full Ice Division (2010-2011 only)

• ’02 & ’03 birthdates may be a rare ’04 who played full ice in 2009-2010
• Half/Cross ice practice
• Half./Cross ice games until December 1, 2010
• December 1, 2010 – March 1, 2011 full ice games
• Standard regulation nets
• Blue pucks
• Current 2 man officiating system
• Season Length: 10/1/10 – 3/1/11
• Maximum 20 games/40 practices plus 2 tournaments
• Games would be played within geographic zones with common sense flexibility to accommodate smaller clubs
• 2 cross ice Jamborees (pre & post season) goal is to play them at NHL venues (COS)
• Rosters would be open to 9 year olds
• On site player movement to create balance in ice time is acceptable
• April 20, 2010 Tryout
• # of teams per club to remain consistent with current # of registered ’02-‘03s
• At the end of season ‘03s would have choice to play half ice in 2011-2012 or play 3 years of squirts, 04s would be placed in half ice.

8 & Under Minor Half Ice Division

• Designed for small clubs to aid in the transitional period
• Teams comprised of ’05, ’04, ’03 and ’02 players beginner or intermediate levels
• Half/cross ice practice
• Half ice games
• Season length 10/1/10-3/1/11
• Maximum 20 games/40 practices
• Games played within geographic zones
• Two cross ice jamborees

2011-2012 Season

6 & Under Cross Ice Division

• ’05 & younger
• Cross Ice practice and games
• In House competition schedule. Neighboring facilities can set their own schedule
• Mini nets with rotating goalies
• Blue pucks
• Season Length: 20 weeks as determined by facility
• Coaches serve as officials
• April 20 registration
• Smaller clubs would be afforded the opportunity to play 8 & under half ice

8 & Under Half Ice Division

• ’03-’04 birth years
• Half ice practice/games
• Regulation size nets
• Rotating goalies with equipment
• Blue pucks
• Games played within geographic zones
• Cross zone boundaries as needed for small clubs
• 20 week season (dates TBD)
• Maximum 20 games/40 practices
• Coaches serve as officials (possible officials mentoring program)
• Roster flexibility to include 9 year olds
• Pre & Post season Jamborees (COS)
• April 20 Registration with the ability to add players based on season length

Education/Administration

• ADM District Meeting recorded or streamed
• Monthly ADM report that includes updates from around the country highlighting success of program (COS)
• CEP/ADM Seminar
• NHL/Olympic testimonials (COS)
• Half Ice Boards (COS)
• Affiliate Compliance - Tier I/II
• Flip Charts (COS)
• Changing language of existing AAHA mite policy to comply with ADM

* Note: COS = Material provided by USAH, Colorado Springs
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Postby Jukka Ropponen » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:21 pm

Congrats!

Maybe this is something that we can really help you with during our June camp and give you new ideas & models.

Jukka
Jukka Ropponen
Goaliepro

Postby pmgaff » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:33 pm

You did NOT! What were you thinking?! :lol: :lol:

Good for you, Cubes. Your Association couldn't possibly be in better hands.

I've been down the hockey governance road before. Let me know if there's any way I can help out.
pmgaff
Aloitteleva maalivahti

Postby Cubanpuckstopper » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:56 pm

Jukka Ropponen wrote:Congrats!

Maybe this is something that we can really help you with during our June camp and give you new ideas & models.

Jukka

I am looking forward to this, the passport renewal should be done in a week or two, and I am looking for flights. Please look for an email coming soon that addresses some of the logistics of this.

pmgaff wrote:You did NOT! What were you thinking?! :lol: :lol:

Good for you, Cubes. Your Association couldn't possibly be in better hands.

I've been down the hockey governance road before. Let me know if there's any way I can help out.

We have decent parents, this was done by acclaimation so I hope that is a sign of everyone headed in the right direction. Some of the parents are struggling with their klids playing cross ice games next season as part of the ADM.
Cubanpuckstopper
Resident goalie geek

Postby pmgaff » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:24 pm

Cubanpuckstopper wrote:We have decent parents, this was done by acclaimation so I hope that is a sign of everyone headed in the right direction. Some of the parents are struggling with their klids playing cross ice games next season as part of the ADM.

Well, we know they're good judges of character, anyway. Good luck, man.
pmgaff
Aloitteleva maalivahti

PreviousNext

Return to Coaching goalies & tech talk